Target group in AWS NLB is used to route requests to one or more registered
targets.When you create a listener, you specify a target group for its
default action. Traffic is forwarded to the target group specified in the
listener rule. You can create different target groups for different types of
In this post we will see how to create instance target group for NLB.
Steps to create instance target groups
1. Login to AWS console an navigate to EC2 at
2. In the navigation pane, under Load Balancing, choose Target Groups.
3. Click on Create target group.
4. Choose target type as instances.
5. In Target group name field, enter a name for the new target group.
6. For Protocol, choose TCP, and for Port, choose 80.
7. For VPC, select the VPC that contains your instances.
8. For Health checks, keep the default settings.
9. Click on Next.
10. On the Register targets page, perform the following steps.
- For Available instances, select one or more instances
- Keep the default port 80, and choose Include as pending below.
11. Click on Create target group.